Those of you who have published a book know how many long, arduous months go into preparing it for publication. For me, only the few priorities in daily life get done during that time and everything else gets pushed aside to a later date. Even though I took the time to celebrate the release of Prism with family and friends and I’m currently in the promoting/marketing stage, my stress level has decreased drastically and I have more time in my day for real life. So I thought it would be kinda fun to list off all the things that I’ve been putting off for the last six months and maybe it would help focus me so I could accomplish them all before I got too busy with my next writing project.
Here Are the Top 10 Things (in no particular order):
1) Catch up on my blog. I have a backlog of blog topics. My problem is not that I don’t have ideas for blog posts, I write plenty of them. My problem is that I don’t have the time to read back through them, edit and polish so that they’re suitable for posting on my blog. I hope to start posting them regularly this summer, especially about my creative cakes! Yes, I’ve been baking!
2) Redbox. I’m going to catch up on all the DVDs I’ve been wanting to rent, especially since summer started. I haven’t had time for much entertainment lately.
3) Clean out my closet of clothes. Having had two kids in the past five years, I have all sizes of clothes clogging my closet: pregnancy clothes, post-pregnancy clothes, my pre-pregnancy clothes I’ve been holding onto and now that I fit into them again, I find that they are outdated and not worth wearing. Most of my clothes need to be donated to Goodwill. Once there’s more room in my closet, I can start the arduous task of buying new clothes. Shopping doesn’t come naturally to me, at all.
4) Make a really nice dinner for my husband. The preparation of dinner undoubtedly has fallen near the bottom of the priority list and I’ve fallen into a rut of cooking fast meals like hot dogs, frozen fish fillets, spaghetti, frozen potstickers…you get the idea. It’s time for something special.
5) Create more storage space on my cell phone. I’m horrible at deleting the pics and videos I take on my cell phone since they automatically download to my computer (but it’s not set to automatically delete them once the download is complete, mostly because I’m a tad paranoid. I might have to update that setting though). For the past few weeks I haven’t been able to take any pics on my cell because it’s too full. Definitely time to free up some room. I also need to free up some space on the hard drive of my laptop. Haven’t had a spare second for that either…
6) Potty train my son. It is something that is time sensitive and requires mom (that’s me) not to be distracted by the myriad of things that have to fall into place in order to have a book published. Now that I’m less distracted, I’m ready to give him my full attention, get him out of diapers and make my husband one very happy dude (diapers are expensive!).
7) Finish unpacking! We moved a year ago and I still haven’t hung up all of the framed family photos. With kids and writing and everything else going on, it just hasn’t been a priority. My younger self would be shaking her head at me! I hate bare walls!
8) I’m always doing crafts but I’m not organized at all, so there are bags of this and bags of that—EVERYWHERE! Well, not everywhere, just in the guest room and when we do have an overnight guest, I throw the bags into several plastic storage totes. Afterward, I can’t find anything! Very frustrating. I just need to get organized and life will become so much simpler.
9) Make time to try out all the new recipes my daughter thinks look interesting. I’m grooming her to be a fantastic baker and cook in hopes that I won’t have to step foot in the kitchen ever again. It’s a diabolical plan, I know!
10) Finish the baby book I’m making online for my son who is two and a half years old. I’m also auntie to some smart and amazing nephews and nieces and I’ve done baby books for each of them over the years. I’m also very excited to meet #6 and #7 which means more baby book making is in my very near future!
That about sums it up. For those authors out there, what do you do after you publish a book?